All of the lights

Been working on the lights. I have finally connected the two brake lights together to work when both/either of the levels are pulled. Nice and bight too. I will use the top light as a position light during dipped illumination and both for braking, as seen in the GIF above. I’m happy with the result…

Regen RLS_TPS Brk%

Have managed to get the Regen brake up and working. I have yet to plug the Regen into the lever to assist braking (and recover energy) instead of recovering when the throttle is off. But this is a start Until I get the Rear Brake lever/light/controller set-up. Test data below indicates all is working well…

Headlight set-up

Looking at the spec to set-up the headlamp. It is complex. I have recently heard of Motorcyclists failing the MSVA test on the dipped headlight so it is important to get this one in the bag. Some guidance from the DVLA government website is below, and Delboy a popular motorcycle enthusiast simplifies the process in…

CT-22 display on XJ600e

CT-22 display is working… Great. There are still issues with the battery indicator. I fear that this might be due to the negative running though the BMS not directly to the battery. will eventually get this sorted out, and if that doesn’t work crying for five minutes before further diagnostics will be my a viable…

Not pretty, but she’s a running

So, the basic powertrain of the battery, BMS, controller and the motor have been completed, or as much as they can be for now, and….. xj600e is alive and running under at full power of 100ah (charge socket works too). I am happy to see it finally work TBH. I had a couple of issues…

Insulation

Feeling paranoid that I am placing batteries in metal cases I have decided to insulate the inside of all the metal boxes. Even though the voltage cable connection points are covered with rubber boots and no metal is exposed the inside of the controller (pictured) has been coated with heat resistant high temperature polyimide tape…

Power cable–ing

Spent some time power cable–ing. I have managed to route the 12v, hall sensor cables, and power cables after making a new gland bracket to hold the V/W/U motor cables. Need to do some tests before firing it up. The last test used 48v on the connector. It should use 12v, technically, so I will…

Wiring (interim)

Have finally started the wiring and installation. Realistically I need to make sure all is working in situe before going for a final installation and metalwork treatment. Progress is slow due to time restraints, but happening. My main concern is ensuring I make the correct connections first time to avoid damage to components and to…

1st charge

Uprated the cables to 35mm2 to start testing the battery. In this first charge I pushed the state of charge (SOC) from 25% to 50%, took about 1hrs 13mins. Indicates that a full charge may be just under 5hrs. Also using this 25% charge suggests a 100AH full capacity. In general, happy charging is working….

BMS Installation

Have finally got around to firing up the BMS. After a couple of cell step voltage checks (that were surprisingly close; 0.016 cell diff). I was eager to look out for mis-wiring and errors but luckily found none. Awesome. Turned on the ANT BMS which seems to have been tricky in past versions of the…